Bae, Kim & Lee LLC has one of the largest corporate practices in Korea, with over 100 attorneys devoted to corporate transactions, and many additional professionals ready to advise on adjacent regulatory, tax and other issues. With extensive experience in all areas of investments, mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance and corporate governance, BKL offers an unsurpassed level of expertise hewing to international standards, combined with an agile, pragmatic approach to the many tasks and issues that accompany commercial transactions in Korea.
BKL is consistently ranked among the top Korean law firms in corporate and M&A work, by Chambers Global and other peer- and client-assessed rankings. BKL has also in recent years garnered a number of the “Korean legal advisor of the year” and “deal of the year” type accolades in the Asian financial press, and also in global industry publications, for our role in major M&A and financing deals, some of which are listed below.
We advise a wide variety of clients in our corporate practice. They include many firms based in the U.S., Europe and across Asia, and range from Fortune 100 multinationals to high-growth companies and venture capital enterprises, and manufacturers and technology companies as well as financial institutions and private equity groups. Every client procures from us a team dedicated to executing work in an efficient and resourceful fashion. Every client can expect a sensible, yet seamless and comprehensive, approach to covering the full legal agenda for each matter.
Our broad transactional practice encompasses a number of more specialized teams, each among the leaders in its field in Korea. For example, our M&A group, with some 30 lawyers, has been turned to for many of the largest and most sophisticated acquisitions in Korea. In foreign investments, the Firm’s experience of nearly 20 years, and mastery of the regulatory environment, enable us to address expertly the full range of issues associated with investment into Korea, ranging from securities purchases on the market to investments in land and infrastructure projects. For hostile takeovers and management defense, BKL’s veteran team of advisors offers skills honed through a decade of contests for corporate control, including a number of the pathbreaking precedents.
Corporate governance is a core areas of practice, in which we frequently advise on shareholder agreements, corporate charters and similar matters. At the same time, we are proud to have assisted many overseas as well as domestic clients in corporate “housekeeping” tasks, with careful advice provided on efficient terms.
Complementing our corporate practice, BKL offers specialized groups to assist with such areas of common concern as employment law, tax and real estate.
Following is a small sample of BKL’s recent transactional work:
• Advised Tesco Stores (UK) in US$1.9 billion acquisition of major retail chain in Korea, one of the largest M&A deals in Korea in 2008.
• Advised STX group in US$500 million acquisition of Aker Yards ASA, a shipbuilding company in Norway, in 2007.
• Advised UBS AG in acquisition of Daehan Investment Trust Management, 2006~2007.
• Main advisors on virtually all aspects of development of New Songdo International City, the largest real estate project in Korea.
• Advised Macquarie-led group in 2006 buyout of Enron stake in holding company for major group of city gas suppliers.
• Advised private equity group in acquisition of electronics retailer Himart in 2005, a “Deal of the Year” (International Financial Law Review) widely hailed as one of the most successful foreign acquisitions ever in Korean retail. Subsequently advised same private equity group in US$2 billion sale of Himart in 2008.
• Advised private equity group in 2001 leveraged buyout of Haitai Confectionary, recognized as the Korean “Deal of the Year” (International Financial Law Review) for its innovation, scale and complexity.