Bae, Kim & Lee’s construction lawyers are skilled in providing a wide variety of transactional legal services representing all sides of the construction process both domestically and internationally. Our transactional construction practice involves both public and private projects, including stadiums and arenas, convention centers, office buildings, mixed-use facilities, industrial facilities, and other retail, commercial and residential properties.
Bae, Kim & Lee also has extensive experience in representing governmental entities, lenders, general contractors, sub-contractors, and suppliers in connection with large infrastructure projects, called Social Overhead Capital (SOC) projects in Korea. Our construction team has been involved in many of the largest SOC projects in Korea in recent years, including the construction of railroads, harbors, airports, dams, energy facilities, information and communication facilities and distribution facilities. BKL’s construction team has also represented Korean construction companies in major off-shore projects involving light-water nuclear reactors, chemical and water power plants, business centers, a man-made river, mine development, and fertilizer plant construction in Saudi Arabia, Bangladesh, Romania, Russia, Chad, Thailand, North Korea, Yemen, Libya, and Malaysia.
Our construction lawyers have also handled multi-million dollar disputes for both plaintiffs and defendants in Korea and abroad, including claims for breach of contract, changes in the work, termination, delay and disruption, warranty and property damage allegedly caused by construction product defects, environmental, industrial disasters, and compensation for loss. Whether on a transactional matter or for litigation, our construction group is always dedicated to promoting teamwork among the diverse group of professionals and businesses involved in construction. We work to develop solutions that do not jeopardize the goals of our clients at the expense of legal concerns.
• On behalf of a Korean construction company, structured, drafted and negotiated consortium agreement, shareholders agreement, implementation agreement, project management agreement and electrical and mechanical works agreement in connection with the $3 billion Incheon Airport Railway Project.
• On behalf of a Korean power company, reviewed all documentation and advised on ancillary legal issues (including possible violation of WTO regulations) regarding construction of a nuclear power plant in Romania.
• On behalf of a Korean developer, reviewed all documentation and advised client on legal and commercial issues in connection with the construction of a $40 million harbor and related facilities.
• Advised project owner on the $300 million sale of 25 thousand acres of farmland reclaimed by the Sosan Chonsu Bay Reclamation Project; defended project owner in damages claims of over $20 million arising in connection with the Project.
• Represented owner of World Trade Center Seoul and COEX Mall in successfully negotiating with former occupants of land and building for hundreds of pre-trial evacuation settlements worth $1.5 billion.
• Represented Korean construction company in $20 million lawsuit arising from disputes in the consortium organized for the Busan Kwang-ahn Boulevard Construction Project.
• In connection with development of $100 million shopping center, represented Korean construction company in litigating dozens of civil, criminal and administrative lawsuits among numerous landowners, merchants, and governmental agencies.